Birth Parent Representation

We provide representation to birth parents in New York and New Jersey. If you are out of state, you will be entitled to independent representation by an attorney in your home state.

How can an adoption attorney help me?
We provide reliable, step-by-step information about options for you and your child. We ensure compliance within the legal framework of your state and the state of the adoptive family.
Why should I talk to an adoption attorney if I’m considering adoption?
We listen to your individual concerns, give you clear information, answer your questions, and walk you through safe, legal choices, such as:

  • Private placement adoption: You and the prospective adoptive parents each have your own attorneys (at no cost to you) and the placement is made by you directly to the family you select.
  • Agency adoption: A licensed private adoption agency (this is not the same as a state agency involved in the foster care system) provides services to you and the prospective adoptive parents. You would place the baby with the agency, which would then place your child with the family you select.
How can I find out about potential adoptive parents and select the family?
  • Potential adoptive families create a profile letter about themselves, which includes text and pictures for you to review. In addition, many create their own websites and link them to adoption websites, and/or Facebook. Some place classified ads in newspapers, or ads online. You can communicate directly with these potential adoptive parents to see which family feels like the right choice for your baby. Your attorney will confirm whether these families are legally qualified to adopt.
  • You can retain an adoption attorney to represent you as you consider your options, including assisting you in finding potential adoptive families who meet your vision of the family who you would like to raise your child.
  • You can “surf the web”. There are groups on Facebook and other social media channels where you will find families searching for a prospective birthmother match. There are also adoption family matching sites like and where you can view and contact a wide variety of families searching to make adoption plans with you.
  • You can contact a licensed private adoption agency for services, including providing you with profiles of their waiting families.
How do I make an adoption plan once I select the prospective adoptive family?
Your adoption attorney will guide you through the steps below for a private placement adoption plan. If you work with an agency, your point of contact for these decisions will be your agency counselor. An adoption plan’s decision points include:

  • A closed, semi-open, or open relationship with the prospective adoptive parents
  • Prenatal care
  • Counseling (Many birth parents have found it helpful to speak with a counselor about whether to make an adoption plan. Additional counseling once you have made a plan provides support for the emotional aspects of adoption.)
  • Living expense assistance
  • Hospital wishes and birth plan
How do my parental rights end?
You remain your baby’s legal parent until your parental rights are terminated by court order or under the laws of your state. This time period varies from state to state. If and when you make a private adoption placement, your child can be placed directly with the family you select and the baby can go home from the hospital with the adoptive parents.
How do I find out how my baby is developing throughout the years if I choose adoption?
By agreeing to have post-placement communication with the family, you may stay in touch with the adoptive parents and receive pictures and updates of your child. You can also send the family updated photos and notes. This may also include visitation, where the family will meet with you.

We’re here for you. Please reach out.

As adoption and reproductive law attorneys, The Law Offices of Laurie B. Goldheim serve as a primary resource, counsel and partner to clients who seek to grow their families by contemporary means and methods, as recognized by the courts of New York and New Jersey.